Thursday, 29 March 2012

Mad Men Challenge

So I've taken part in my first online sewing challenge.  Julia Bobbin's Mad Men Challenge which was to find a dress on Mad Men that you love and create your own version.  I have only watched the first season of Mad Men and am trying to track down a friend who I know has the second season.  While I liked just about all the dresses on the show, I finally decided on this dress:


Mostly because I love the waistband and also I had several metres of silk in my stash which is the same colour (and coincidentally the same coloured lining in my stash).  The silk was given to me by my mother in law who bought it in Thailand on a holiday some twenty years ago.  This gave me an excuse to make it up.  Now I don't have studio lighting in my home so I can't quite emulate the above photo, but here's my version:


I obviously don't have the statuesque proportions of Joanie therefore the waistband is not quite as wide as hers.  I actually made up separates for this outfit - cheating a bit I suppose.  I used Burda 8155 for the skirt and hand stitched a roule pattern on the waist.  For the top (which I am not stoked with) I used a top I already had as a pattern and cut the fabric on the bias to give it a bit of drape.  The silk is quite stiff so I didn't even try to attempt the lovely drapey sleeves on Joanies dress as I knew it just wouldn't work.


I think I will probably wear the skirt more as a separate anyway but combined it does look somewhat like Joanies dress.  Now I just need the sex appeal to pull off the entire look! 


Here's my version of the waistband which was the part of the dress that caught my interest.  Time consuming but worth it.


And here's the back of the band with fabric covered buttons and loops.

Thanks for the challenge Julia!  Can't wait to see everyone's creations.

11 comments:

  1. The waistband detail is just lovely - cute outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful detail on the waistband! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's gorgeous! Such a flattering shape...love the hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a wonderful dress! The details are fabulous. Hasn't this been the most fun dress challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your mad men dress (separates) turned out, you look fabulous! I get doing the separates, probably better for getting more wear out of them.

    I almost forgot to mention how much I love the waistband detailing and covered buttons you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I love your outfit and I want it right now!!

    Seriously cool job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The waistband detail is gorgeous, well as is the whole ensemble! I really love the rouleau loops for the buttons too, a lovely detail for the back view. You look absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! Just, Wow. Beautiful dress you look wonderful. All of that hard work really paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely gorgeous. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw your make in Julia Bobbin's post. The details, the colours, the silhouette. Everything is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this whole dress!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete