Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Sew it like Gwen

Here is a maternity dress I made last pregnancy.  My sisters and I headed to the 'Dressed by the Best' exhibit at the museum recently which showcases the designs of Gwen Gillam, Brisbane's leading dress designer of the 50s and 60s.  We thought we should mark the occasion by all wearing home sewn frocks.
Obviously I made mine and my sister Kathleen (in the spots) made all other three.  Don't we look lovely?  It was a very pleasant afternoon looking at the glamorous dresses, trying hard not to touch them and we finished off the afternoon with high tea.  So I would recommend a visit to any Brisbane readers.  It's free and on until February.
Anyhoo, back to the maternity frock.  I cut the bodice on the bias using the same pattern as this dress.  The skirt is simply a gathered rectangle however I added about 5cm to the upper middle section of the front piece so it wouldn't be too short once over a pregnant belly.  The neck and armholes are finished with exposed self bias binding.  There is a ruffle and a rose around the neckline because a floral, babydoll, maternity dress isn't quite girly enough!?!  I also made casing in the empire line seam and threaded some elastic around for more definition.  Wasn't too hard a pattern really.  I would have liked to cut the skirt on the bias too to somewhat shape around a pregnant belly but I didn't have enough fabric.  I'm happy with how it looks cut on the grain though as it is pretty floaty.  I really can't remember what kind of fabric it is.  Happy sewing all!

9 comments:

  1. Such a pretty dress! It is so lovely to see pregnant women in dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look gorgeous! It's such a pretty dress and it sounds like you had a great day. Love that you all wore handmade dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty pretty dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read your entire blog and I love it, your fabric choices are great, and you have made a lot for one year. I'm now a follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look stunning in this dress. The fabric is gorgeous. What a lovely day out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous frock!!! And so flexible a style for pregnancy too :) I automatically love anything with ruffles on it - you look fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you do all look really lovely! I adore your dress, such gorgeous fabric and the frill at the neck is so pretty. Sounds like a terrific day out!

    ReplyDelete